Ask.Cyberinfrastructure

How do I use a Globus file transfer service?

file-transfer
data-transfer
globus
dtn

I want to transfer data from my workstation (laptop) to an HPC machine and vice versa. The resource has a Globus endpoint available. How can I use the Globus endpoint to transfer inputs to the cluster and results back to my workstation for further analysis?

CURATOR: Raminder Singh

Since your HPC resource already has a Globus endpoint, just make your workstation a Globus Personal Connect endpoint:

1. login to globus.org
  2. on the left hand menu, select “Endpoints”
  3. in the upper right, click “Create new endpoint”, then select “Globus Connect Personal” and follow the instructions from there.

Once you have your workstation set up as a personal endpoint, use the web portal at Globus.org to select both your HPC endpoint and your Personal Connect endpoint to initiate a data transfer between them.

A Globus endpoint is used in similar fashion as you would use an FTP site. Globus endpoints can be either Private or Public. For Private endpoints you will need to have an account and the applicable user permissions granted, on those endpoints. For Public endpoints you can transfer data to and from without having an account or being granted user permissions on those endpoints.

Step 1: GO to https://www.globusid.org/
and create a Globus account
Step 2: Log in to Globus
Step 3: Create an endpoint on your institution’s local Data Transfer Node (DTN)
Step 4: Activate endpoint(endpoints are active for typically 24 hrs)
Step 5: Transfer Files from a DTN at Globus.org
example of a Globus Public DTN is:
> ESnet Read-Only Test DTN at New York>

(Select DTN for file transfer – push or pull) – depending on need and your permissions on DTN

Points to Note:
The Institution MUST have a DTN, for the Globus tool to be useful
A Domain Name (DN) on the Globus endpoint must be shared between collaborating DTNs.
Globus back-end ties in with Microsoft Active Directory using LDAP for authentication with your institution’s local DTN.

Local DTN Parameters needed to create endpoint:

Host: DTN01.universityname.edu
DN: /C=US/O=Globus Consortium/OU=Globus Connect Service/CN=0aba6458-2418-11e6-bfeb-22000b1701d1
Control Port: 2811